1.3.11

Footprints In The Sand and Concrete

Article

Recently we had a little concrete poured around a stone step just outside our side gate. Unfortunately, although I thought I would remember to stay away from that area until it had dried, later that day I stepped onto it, creating a permanent footprint. What followed were comical remarks about ‘dating it’ and ‘being famous’ etc. It’s interesting the way one thought leads to another, because this event brought to mind a famous poem, called ‘Footprints in the Sand’, which I decided to revisit.

‘Footprints In The Sand’ had never been truly credited to any author, until 1984. The author, Mary Stevenson (Zangare) wrote ‘Footprints In The Sand’ in 1936, when she was very young and knew nothing about copyright. Mary wrote it and passed it on to some friends, to offer them some comfort during difficult times. Thankfully she came across some original copies when she was preparing to move many years later, which were able to eventually authenticate her as the author.

Apparently as the poem had been passed on widely and published extensively, without the author’s knowledge or permission, the words had also been altered. It wasn’t until the son of the author created a website (link below the poem), that the original version became publicly available. It’s a beautiful, inspiring poem, and I’m sure there are many people, young and old, religious and non religious, who have been comforted by the words, in times of uncertainty or sorrow.

Unfortunately I cannot say the same about my Footprints in the Concrete, although it may perhaps offer a little laughter to our lives when reminiscing in the future. Please enjoy the original version of ‘Footprints In The Sand’.

Footprints in the Sand (original version):

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there was one only.
This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from anguish,
sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints,
so I said to the Lord,
‘You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there has only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?’
The Lord replied,
‘The years when you have seen only one set of footprints,
my child, is when I carried you.’

Author - Mary Stevenson

The Official Website for 'Footprints in the Sand', operated by the estate of Mary Stevenson:- http://www.footprints-inthe-sand.com/



© Copyright Jan Reid-Lennox. All Rights Reserved.